The Learning Community gave me an education that not only pushed me to the top of my class at Asheville High, it also inspired in me an active and vibrant interest in new knowledge and the world around me. TLC taught me to recognize and appreciate the kindness, passion, and drive for knowledge present in the students around me. TLC not only teaches its students to be kind and thoughtful, it also teaches them to be confident, to set high personal goals, and to push themselves past their boundaries.
–Claire Roth, Class of 2011
Although not required, we strongly recommend that every family tour the school and attend a parent information session before applying to the school.
1. Fill out a wait-list application. These are available at the conclusion of our Tuesday morning tours as well as at our fall parent information sessions.
2. Once you receive a full application form, return it to the school with your $100 non-refundable application processing fee.
3. Send a teacher recommendation form to one of your child’s current teachers. The teacher should mail the form directly to TLC. This must be received before the two-day visit can be scheduled.
4. After steps 1 and 2 are complete and step 3 is in progress, we will work together to schedule your child’s one- or two-day visit to TLC. This not only allows our staff the opportunity to observe your child both academically and socially, but gives your child a chance to experience life at TLC School! Most visits take place mid-week in January or February.
5. After your child’s visit, a sit-down meeting with the classroom teacher and the administrators will take place. Please be prepared to ask questions and share any concerns about your child with the staff. These meetings are scheduled on Friday afternoons.
6. Once all steps are completed, your child will be placed in the waiting pool until open enrollment officially begins in mid-March. Our current school families re-enroll for the next school year in February. This process determines the number of initial openings available for applications at each grade level and begins our wait pool for future openings. We will be in touch with all applicant families on our open enrollment date.
7. Upon acceptance into the school, your $800 non-refundable deposit, family agreement, and signed enrollment contract will hold a place for your child in the class.
The Learning Community School admits students of any race, color, national, and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religious belief, or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
TLC is even more of a home this year than it used to be!
We appreciate Kiersten for helping settle the K/1 classroom into their new handwashing routine each morning; John, Dan, and Meggan for helping in the morning carline; and Daisy for her office/recycling/trash support!
-H and K
I feel so grateful for this school. My kids come home happy each day!
I would like to appreciate Mitzi for her calm, sweet, peaceful, and patient way in the K/1 classroom. She is the best!